Here’s To Your Journey with Sheraton
When you join the Sheraton family, you become a member of its global community. We’ve been a place to gather and connect since 1937. At Sheraton, associates create a sense of belonging in more than 400 communities around the world. We welcome guests through engaging experiences and thoughtful service. If you’re a team player who is excited to deliver a meaningful guest experiences, we encourage you to explore your next career opportunity with Sheraton.
The Sheraton Waikiki located at 2255 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815 is currently hiring a Director of Labor Relations
Leads labor management for multi-hotel complex and promotes positive employee relations in unionized environment. Keeps organized records of and verifies compliance with collective bargaining agreements, applicable laws and regulations, and standard operating procedures (SOPs). Serves as the point of contact for communications with the union(s) regarding grievances, mediation and negotiations. Provides consultation and training to hotel managers to verify understanding and consistent application of collective bargaining agreement and labor laws.
Education and Experience
· High school diploma or GED; 5 years experience in the human resources, management operations, or related professional area, a portion of which needs to be in a unionized environment.
· 2-year degree from an accredited university in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related major; 3 years experience in the human resources, management operations, or related professional area, a portion of which needs to be in a unionized environment.
· Focus in industrial relations or employment law a plus.
· Experience in writing policies preferred.
· Experience in mediations and arbitrations preferred.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Legal and Compliance Practices
· Assesses departmental specific Policies & Procedures to verify compliance with applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs).
· Updates and amends Policies & Procedures as needed for operational need, compliance and/or consistency.
· Holds regular labor related training for managers across complex to verify high level of CBA understanding and reduce unnecessary grievances.
· Initiates complex wide precedents as appropriate.
· Verifies compliance with key policies (e.g., Sexual Harassment, Non-Harassment, Non-Discrimination, No Solicitation).
· Verifies progressive discipline is consistently applied and proper documentation is maintained on all disciplinary issues.
· Verifies employees are treated fairly and equitably and that issues are brought to resolution.
Managing Communication with Union
· Determines level of communication needed in compliance with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and CBA.
· Determines notification requirements in compliance with the NLRB and applicable CBAs.
· Assesses and prepares subject information when union notification, consultation or negotiation needs arise from issues such as: changes in operations, adding/removing hotel services, reorganizing departments for operational need, scheduling/hours of operation/closures/openings, new or amended SOPs.
· Initiates contact and discussion with union(s) and keeps negotiation processes moving forward in timely manner to meet implementation dates/deadlines.
Serving as HR Labor Advisor
· Serves as contact person for basic and daily matters relating to labor and CBA interpretation.
· Coaches managers on progressive discipline process, scheduling, and other labor related matters.
· Determines level of involvement needed for decision making.
· Supports departments with staffing and scheduling productivity, assisting them in looking for more efficiencies.
Maintaining Employee Relations
· Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees.
· Utilizes an “open door” policy to address employee problems or concerns in a timely manner.
· Verifies effective employee communication channels are established and active in departments.
· Strives to improve employee retention.
· Monitors work environment for signs of labor agitation.
· Solicits employee feedback.
· Adaptability – Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
· Communication – Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behavior; and models active listening to ensure understanding.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making – Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
· Professional Demeanor – Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams – Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results – Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing – Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships – Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Applied Learning – Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Personnel and Human Resources — Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training and development, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
• Computer Skills – The ability to use HRIS Systems (working knowledge of tools and processes for monitoring and evaluating personnel data), ability to use PeopleSoft software, and ability to use Microsoft Office (excel, word, access, and outlook).
· Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning – Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension – Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
To apply now, go to: https://jobs.marriott.com/marriott/jobs/20051276?%3Flang=en-us
Marriott International is consistently recognized as an employer of choice globally by FORTUNE magazine, DiversityInc and Great Places to Work Institute, among others. Visit www.marriott.com/careers to learn more about our workplace culture and career opportunities.
So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.